Zhena’s is proud to be one of the earliest supporters of the Fair Trade movement dedicated to building equitable and sustainable trading partnerships that create opportunities to alleviate poverty. The company stands in solidarity with the tea workers and empowers them by paying a pro-active premium that provides fair wages and added benefits such as better housing, healthcare, education and a sustainable environment. In order to provide these benefits, Zhena’s premium is up to ten times more than conventional prices paid by many tea companies. The workers in Zhena’s gardens benefit from guaranteed health insurance, education, safe working conditions and no child labor. Every time you purchase Zhena’s tea you join in the Fair Trade movement and become an advocate for humane working conditions worldwide.
LOOK FOR THE LABEL
The Fair Trade Certified™ Label guarantees consumers that strict economic, social and environmental criteria were met in the production and trade of an agricultural product. Fair Trade farmer groups receive a minimum price covering the cost of sustainable production and a premium to invest in social and economic development projects. The Fair Trade Certified label guarantees that:
- Fair price: Democratically organized farmer groups receive a guaranteed minimum floor price and an additional premium for certified organic products.
- Fair labor conditions: Workers on Fair Trade farms enjoy freedom of association, safe working conditions and living wages. Forced child labor is strictly prohibited.
- Direct trade: With Fair Trade, importers purchase from Fair Trade producer groups as directly as possible, eliminating unnecessary middlemen and empowering farmers to develop the business capacity necessary to compete in the global marketplace.
- Democratic and transparent organizations: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers decide democratically how to invest Fair Trade revenues.
- Community development: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers invest Fair Trade premiums in social and business development projects like scholarship programs, quality improvement trainings, and organic certification.
- Environmental sustainability: Harmful agrochemicals and GMOs are strictly prohibited in favor of environmentally sustainable farming methods that protect farmers’ health and preserve valuable ecosystems for future generations.
Members of Fairtrade Labeling Organizations International (FLO) provide certification in different regions. FLO’s rigorous audit system, which tracks products from farm to finished product, verifies industry compliance with Fair Trade criteria. FairTrade USA allows products distributed in the U.S. to display the Fair Trade Certified label on products that meet strict Fair Trade standards. Fairtrade Canada provides the same certification for products distributed in Canada. Vote for a better world with your dollars, simply by looking for the Fair Trade Certified label on the products they buy.